2010 - 2014
Atopic bodies is a long term performance project by Atopos cvc, exploring the uncanny, eccentric and unclassified character of the human body in contemporary visual culture. Through collaborations between designers and artists from different backgrounds, new and radical Characters are being created by mixing visual and fashion codes. Atopic Bodies treats the body as an eternal atopos and appearance as a sociocultural construction.
The Anthropologist Ted Polhemus notes that “we are our bodies and yet our bodies’ abstract constructions of our culture are always and inevitably atopos to ourselves”. He argues that there is “no such thing as natural beauty; what is deemed to be attractive and desirable in one culture or era may be deemed hideous and repulsive in another”.
- May 11 2013 Atopic Bodies X: Wasteland
- Sep 12 - Oct 30 2011 Atopic Bodies IX: The Dancendettes
- Jul 30 2011 Atopic Bodies VIII: The Voluptuous Panic Attackers
- Jul 09 2011 Atopic Bodies VII: The Gliptolithic Nation
- Jun 18 2011 Atopic Bodies VI: The Monster’s Fiancée
- May 14 2011 Atopic Bodies V: The Monsters’ Ball
- Apr 04 2011 Atopic Bodies IV: The Wicker Cult
- Jan 27 2011 Atopic Bodies III: The Leiotrichous Tribe
- Nov 02 2010 Atopic Bodies II: Sianoise Twins
- May 13 - 16 2010 Atopic Bodies I: Mr & Mrs Myth